Surya Sen Mahavidyalaya
Block-B, Surya Sen Colony
Mobile: (M) +919233463895 / +919434863895
E-mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
• Ph. D in Sociology from Nagpur University on “Industrial Development and Social Change” – A sociological study of impact of industrialization on social institutions in Nagpur city. 2002
• M.A in Personnel Management & Industrial Relations from North Orissa University, Baripada. 2002
• Bachelors Degree in Law from Utkal University. 1996.
• M.Phil in Sociology from Nagpur University, 1993
• M.A in Sociology from Nagpur University, 1992
• B.A. (Sociology Hons) from Utkal University, 1990.
Conferred 4th position in M.A. (PMIR) Examination, 2002, North Orissa University, Baripada.
Conferred Gold Medal for having stood First in M.A, Sociology,1992.Nagpur University, Nagpur
Conferred 7th Position in B.A ( Hons) examination, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar (1990)
• 23+ Years of functional experience in Academic, Administration & Research.
Workshops / Seminars / Conferences / Training Programs Attended:
• Participated in the workshop on ‘ International Humanitarian Law’, organized by International Committee for Red Cross and Sikkim (Central) University, December 9-11th 2009.
• Presented Paper on ‘Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation of Children’ in a National Conference, organized by Meghasan College, Nudadiha, Sponsored by University Grants Commission on 26-27 December, 2009.
• Participated in the Workshop on ‘Research Methodology on Health’, Organized by US-India Education Society, and Government of Sikkim from 26-28th April 2010.
• Participated in the Workshop on ‘Research Methodology’; jointly organized by ICSSR (NE) & Sikkim (Central) University, August 20-23rd 2010.
• Presented a Paper on “ North-Eastern India: Educational Development and Problems” at the 19th Annual Conference cum Seminar of North East India Educational Society ( NEIES), organized by Harkayamaya College of Education, Gangtok, on 27 & 28 June 2011.
• Presented a Paper on “ Women & Domestic Violence: An Empirical Study” at the National Seminar , Organized by Department of Political Science, Ravenshaw University, Cuttack, Odisha on 22nd & 23rd January 2012.
• Presented a Paper on “ Importance of Statistics in Library & Information Sciences” at the U.G.C & C.R.O, Bhopal ; Sponsored National Seminar on “Changing Scenario of Library & Information Science Education In India” , Organized by Department of Library & Information Sciences, Thakur Ranmat Singh ( Auto) College, Rewa, Madhya Pradesh on 26th February 2012.
• Presented a Paper on “Information Technology Policy And Trade In Global Market (With Special Reference to Sikkim) at the National Seminar Organized by Deptt. of Commerce, Sikkim Govt. College, Tadong on 27 -28th March 2012.
• Attended 6th Principal’s Workshop organized by Academic Staff College, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 21st-24th ,January 2013.
• Presented a Paper on “Computer Assisted Instruction (CAI): An Innovation in Modern Teaching Learning Process” at the NAAC Sponsored National Seminar on “ Strategies for Enhancing the Quality in Teacher Education Programme” Organized by Harkamaya College of Education, Tadong on 29 -30th April 2013. [ ISBN No. 978-93-82359-25-8 (Print) / ISBN No. 978-93-82359-24-1 (E-book)]
• Attended Orientation Programme on “Planning and Management of Higher Education Institutions for College Principals of Educationally Backward Districts” organized by Deptt. of Higher & Professional Education, National University of Educational Planning & Administration (NUEPA), New Delhi from September, 30 – October,5; 2013.
• Presented a paper entitled “ Immigrants in South Asia: A Study on the Impact of Bangladeshi Immigrants on the local People in Kendrapara District in Odisha” at the International Interdisciplinary Conference on Human Resource Mobility in South Asia, orgainized by Deptt. of Geography, Sikkim Government College, Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim on 18-19th October 2013.
• Co-chaired in the technical session –IV on “ Human Trafficking : Issues and Challenges in South Asia” at the International Interdisciplinary Conference on Human Resource Mobility in South Asia, orgainized by Deptt. of Geography, Sikkim Government College, Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim on 18-19th October 2013.
• Invited by Education Department, Govt. of Gujarat , attended two days’ National Education Submit’ on ‘Towards Educating Young India’ organized jointly by Knowledge Consortium of Gujarat , and various Universities / Institutions in Gujarat at Mahatma Mandir , Gandhinagar on 10th and 11th January, 2014.
• Presented a paper on “Regional Disparities and Human Resource Development in Odisha”, at the National Interdisciplinary Seminar on ‘Integrated Regional Planning and Human resource Development in India: Efforts, Achievement and Challenges’, organized by Deptt. of Geography, Parishkar College of Global Excellence, Jaipur, Rajasthan in collaboration with Indian Human Ecology Council (CHEC-India) India Chapter of Commonwealth Human Ecology Council, London on 11th February 2014.
• Participated at the Two days Orientation Programme for Coordinators held on 21st & 22nd March 2014 organised by Inidra Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) , Regional Centre , Gangtok.
• Participated at the Five days Orientation Programme on “Planning and Management of Higher Education Institutions” for College Principals of NE Region held during 16- 20th June 2014 at NEHU, Shillong, organised by NUEPA, New-Delhi.
• Organizing Secretary, ICSSR Assisted National Seminar on “ Life Skills Education : Prospects & Challenges”, held on 30th & 31st July 2014, organized by Harkamaya College of Education, Gangtok.
• Presented a paper on “Rural Women Empowerment Through Self-Help Groups”, at the National Interdisciplinary Seminar on ‘Rural Empowerment in India: Efforts, Achievements and Constraints’, organized by Deptt. of Geography, Government College , Rhenock, Sponsored by ICSSR and HRDD, Govt. of Sikkim, on 15th November, 2014.
• Presented a paper on “Higher Education at Cross Road”, at the National Seminar organized by Deptt. of Education, Ravenshaw University , Cuttack, Odisha on 26th and 27th December 2014.
• Participated at the Seminar on “Time Management for Effective Teaching: A Vision or An Illusion”, organized by ASTHA School of Management , Bhubaneswar, Odisha on 11th January 2015.
• Participated in the work shop on “ A Psycho-Social Enquiry into Suicide : Suggestions and Interventions”, Organised by Deptt. of Sociology, Sikkim University in collaboration with Deptt. of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of Sikkim from 28th -29th May 2015.
• Working Committee Member ( Article Review Editorial Board) in the Inter-disciplinary National Seminar on ‘ Rural Empowerment in India: Efforts, Implementation and Challenges’ organized by Department of Geography, Government Post-Graduate College, Baran, Rajasthan, 0n August 28th ,2015.
• Participated One day work shop on ‘ Knowing IQAC’, organized by IQAC , Sikkim University on 28th August 2015.
• Working Committee Member in the ICSSR Sponsored Inter-disciplinary National Seminar on ‘ Regional Disparities in India: Prioritization, Participation and Prospects’ organized by Sikkim Government College, Burtuk, Gangtok , 2nd -4th , November 2015.
• Presented a paper on ‘ Regional Disparities and Challenges in Development: A Case Study of Kalahandi District in Odisha’ in the ICSSR Sponsored Inter-disciplinary National Seminar on ‘ Regional Disparities in India: Prioritization, Participation and Prospects’ organized by Sikkim Government College, Burtuk, Gangtok , 2nd -4th , November 2015.
• Chairperson at the Technical Session-II on the theme ‘ Social Components of Development in India: Identification, Issues and Strategies’ in the ICSSR Sponsored Inter-disciplinary National Seminar on ‘ Regional Disparities in India: Prioritization, Participation and Prospects’ organized by Sikkim Government College, Burtuk, Gangtok , 2nd -4th , November 2015.
• Working Committee Member at the National Interdisciplinary Seminar on ‘ Changing Trends of Tourism and It’s Impact on Livelihood’ organized by Sikkim Government College, Tadong, Gangtok on 6th November 2015.
• Presented a Paper entitled, ‘ Island Tourism: A Socio-economic Study of Andaman and Nicober Islanders’ at the Inter-disciplinary National Seminar organized by Sikkim Government College, Tadong, Gangtok on 6th November 2015.
• Presented a Paper entitled ‘ Women Empowerment Through Microenterprises in Odisha: A Case Study of SHGs’ at the National Seminar organized by NIRD-PR ( NERC), Guwahati held on 7-8th December, 2015.
National / International Publications:
• ‘Industrial Development and Social Change’; Himalayan Journal of Social Sciences, ISSN No. 2231-6639; Vol.1, Issue.1, April, 2011.
• ‘Socio-Economic Problems of Rehabilitations in U.I.H.E Project in Odisha’ Himalayan Journal of Social Sciences, ISSN No. 2231-6639; Vol.2, Issue.1, April, 2012.
• ‘The Problems of Aged People: A Sociological Study’; Himalayan Journal of Social Sciences, ISSN No. 2231-6639; Vol.3, Issue.1, April, 2013.
• ‘Nicobari Tribe: A Sociological Study’; Wizcraft Journal of Language & Literature ( Print & Online): A Peer-reviewed International Journal of Language and Literature; Vol.2; Issue.2: June 2013. (ISSN No. 2319-4952 (Print). (ISSN No. 2319-4960 (online).
• ‘Women & Domestic Violence: An Empirical Study’; Contemporary Research in India: A Peer reviewed Multi-disciplinary International Journal; Vol.3: Issue-2; June 2013; ISSN No. 2231-2137.
• ‘Marriage System among the Newars in Sikkim’; Research Spectrum: A Peer reviewed National Journal on Language, Literature and Culture; Vol.4. Issue.2.August 2013 .pp.28-33 (ISSN.0976-5964) .
• ‘Job Satisfaction’; IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences; September-October, 2013;( e-ISSN: 2279-0837/ p-ISSN: 2279-0845); Vol.14. Issue No,5; pp.45-54. (Impact Factor: 1.586,-2012)
• ‘Migrants in Gangtok’: Himalayan Journal of Social Sciences, ISSN No. 2231-6639; Vol.4, Issue.2,October, 2014.
• ‘Bhutia Tribe in Sikkim: A Sociological Study’: With Z.W.Bhutia; IJIRD, ISSN 2278 – 0211 (Online) ,Vol 3 (11), November, 2014.pp.322-326.
• ‘Socio-Economic Status of Bhutia Tribe in Sikkim’ .with Z.W.Bhutia: Abhinav National Monthly Refereed Journal of Research in Arts & Education, Online ISSN-2277-1182, Vol 3 (11), November, 2014. pp.10-14.
• ‘Life Skill Education in School Curriculum’; a chapter with M.Mohapatra in the edt, book Life Skill Education: Challenges and Prospects. November 2014. ISBN. 9789383701056.
• ‘Empathy Skill ; a chapter with Ms. A.Sharma in the edt, book Life Skill Education: Need and Importance. November 2014. ISBN. 9789383701063.
• ‘A Sociological Study of Bhutanese Student Migrants and their Economic Behaviour in Sikkim’ with S.K.Katel in Himalayan Journal of Social Sciences, ISSN No. 2231-6639; Vol.5, Issue.1, April, 2015, pp.1-18.
• ‘Immigration in South Asia: A Study of the Impact of Bangladeshi Immigrants on Local People in Kendrapara District of Odisha’ ; Chapter in edited book on ‘ Human Resource Mobility in South Asia : Achievement and Implications’; G.B. Books Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi, 2015. Pp.109 – 124. ISBN. 978-93-83930-17-3.
• ‘Drug Addiction in Sikkim : A Sociological Study’; in IRA- International Journal of Management & Social Sciences, V4.(1), pp. 130-141, ISSN- 2455-2267; DOI. http:/dx.doi.org/10.21013/jmss.v4.n1.p.14 ( Impact Factor-2.76), July, 2016.
Edited Books: ( With Prof. P.L.Mohapatra.)
• Life Skill Education: Challenges and Prospects. November 2014. ISBN. 9789383701056.
• Life Skill Education: Need and Importance. November 2014. ISBN. 9789383701063.
News Paper Publications
• ‘Drug Addiction’, The Sikkim Now’, Dt. 06/05/2006.
• ‘Globalization: Impact on Indian Society’, The Sikkim Now’, Dt. 12/07/2006
Members of Professional Bodies:
• Life Member, Indian Sociological Society, New Delhi.
• Member, East Zone Sociological Promotion Council
• Associate Editor, Himalayan Journal of Social Sciences, Gangtok.
• Associate Editor, IRA Journal of Management and Social Sciences
• Associate Editor, IRA Journal of Education and Multidisciplinary Studies
• Member, U.G. Syllabus Framing Committee in Sociology, Sikkim University, 2008,2014
• Member, Sikkim University, 1st Review Committee, 2013.
• Coordinator, IGNOU Study Centre, Code 2417 from July 2013.
• Member, 1st College Development Council, Sikkim University from December 2013 to 2016.
• Convener, U.G. & P.G Syllabus Framing Committee in Education, Sikkim University,2014
• Member, Board of Studies in Sociology, Sikkim University, 2016.
1. Lecturer, Department of Sociology, Indira Gandhi Mahila Mohavidyalaya, Udala, Mayurbhanj, Odisha
2. Principal, Damber Singh College, Samdur, Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim-737102
Most of us who have been involved in the field of education for the last decades and have witnessed the drastically changing socio - economic background - have felt the deep impact of this changing scenario on educational system of the nation. Having gone Global on economic, political and allied fronts as a nation and thrown open our doors to the winds of change, one could foresee what legacy we were to create for the future inheritors of our country.
Anticipated, the next gen would be global citizens where geographical boundaries would cease to deter belongingness to merely one corner or location and would certainly demand a much wider perspective and a mindset to match from each individual.
We urgently required a system of education where by a ‘state of the art ‘technology would support a much wider array of content from a world perspective that would take the children of today through such strategically planned experiences that were drawn from any part of the world and measured up qualitatively as per world standards to prepare world citizens of tomorrow. It is a challenge.
Class room management too is seeing a revolution of sorts with pedagogical support from IT and allied media. Consideration of the Multiple Intelligences is a key factor in effective teaching- learning practices in scholastic and co scholastic areas today.
I have joined as Principal of this institution in the last part of 2016. The institution is named after a great freedom fighter & revolutionist ‘Surya Sen’, nicknamed as ‘ Master Da’. As a Principal, for me, education is not learning by rote and then repeating it in the examination. Our approach is student centred and goes beyond text books, class rooms and boundaries. Students develop practical skills, enabling them to apply their learning to unfamiliar situations and think & act critically about different issues confronted in their life. This will prepare them a lifelong success. This edifice and temple of learning will always be a source of never ending inspiration to our young students.
Our staff (both teaching and non-teaching) dedicatedly follows the motto of ‘explore, research and achieve’ in their quest for excellence. It is because of their selfless and relentless efforts that our college has reached at this height. I am also grateful to our Students’ Union members for their cooperation and active participation for the development of this college with a positive approach.
Surya Sen Mahavidyalaya Surya Sen Colony ,Siliguri P.O. : Siliguri Town Dist : Jalpaiguri Pin : 734004
middle banner image
All rights reserved Surya Sen Mahavidyalaya , Siliguri Developed and Maintain By : NEXTGEN